I see that Playlogic International based in the Netherlands has released an online demo of their title "Ancient Wars: Sparta" that is due to be released this month:
"Sparta is based on the history of the ancient ages and their main nations. Spartans, Persians and Egyptians are fighting for influence around Little Asia, Europe and North Africa. Historical correct timeline is 500-450 BC and the action takes place with different campaigns for all three races. Sparta represents 3D strategy in real time with the new developed “Ancient Wars Engine” (AWE), where the player will have to use each nation’s powers to be superior over other competitors and build up a driving and ruling faction.
The main emphasis is on large-scaled battles and complex tactical manoeuvres. Additional to this, a new method of army equipment is represented. Warriors can be equipped with weapons and shields, can be put on horses or on chariots and be given special abilities. The player can collect abandoned weapons after battles or import powerful weapons from other cultures to build more powerful and different special units. Additionally the forces of nature are very important, because fire, find etc. will affect the whole environment. Cities can be upgraded (e.g. turned to fortresses), workers gather resources to ensure the economic part. Sparta offers every aspect RTS gamers like."
- Haunting storyline based on proven history 500-450 BC
- Play three different tribes to conquer the known ancient world with 27 missions to play through
- Huge choice of weapons, kit and armory
- Usage of a self developed physics engine in RTS game play
- Unique weapon equipping & trading system
- Specific flora and fauna for different climate zones
- Heroes with different role system effects
- More than 15 different buildings for each tribe
- Beautifully detailed full 3D environments
- Breathtaking visuals with lovely details on every unit
- Experienced team supported by the German “The Settlers” veteran Torsten Hess